Studio System™ Privacy Statement
Last Revised: April 2021
Gracenote, a Nielsen Company (“Gracenote,” “we,” or “us”), is committed to protecting your privacy and handling your information in an open and transparent manner. This Privacy Statement explains how we use, share, and protect the information we gather about you via studiosystem.com and any other website where this Privacy Statement is posted or linked (collectively, “this Website”), Studio System Mobile (the “Mobile App”), and when we perform any activities that form part of the operation of this Website and/or the Mobile App and related services (e.g., when we send you marketing-related communications). This Privacy Statement also describes your choices and legal rights in relation to such information.
Please note that this Privacy Statement applies only to information collected by Gracenote through your interaction with this Website and the Mobile App as well as through our performance of other activities that form part of the operation of this Website and the Mobile App and related services. Other websites and mobile apps, including websites and mobile apps provided by Nielsen’s group of companies and websites that may be accessible from this Website or the Mobile App, are governed by their own privacy statements. We encourage you to review all website and mobile app privacy statements before disclosing any information. To learn more about Nielsen’s group of companies, please click here.
Collection of Your Information
We may collect or otherwise obtain information relating to you in a variety of ways. Such information may include personal information (i.e., information that alone or in combination with other information identifies you as an individual, such as your name, email address, phone number, and other data that can be reasonably linked to you as an individual). Additional details about the information we may gather about you can be found below.
Information that you provide. When you register or create an account on this Website or the Mobile App, submit a question or request (e.g., to learn more about our data and services), sign up for an event that we are hosting, or provide us with feedback, we will collect the information that you voluntarily provide, such as your name, email address, phone number, employment details, and geographical location.
This Website may host various blogs, message boards, forums, or other services (including social media services) that allow you to share information and content with other visitors. Any personal information or other information that you voluntarily post can be read, collected, and used by other visitors to this Website, and we have little or no control over how they may use such information. You should keep this in mind when sharing any personal information or other information on this Website.
We generally do not seek sensitive personal information (e.g., information relating to an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions or other similar beliefs, health or medical conditions, criminal background, or trade union membership) about our visitors and users. If you voluntarily provide sensitive personal information for any reason or we are required to collect such information as a result of legal requirements imposed on us, we will, where necessary, obtain your explicit consent and use such information in accordance with this Privacy Statement and applicable law.
Information collected from your use of the Website and Mobile App. As is true of most websites and mobile apps, when you visit and browse this Website and/or use the Mobile App, we also gather certain information automatically, including log usage data (e.g., when you view or click on content) and information from your device and network, including your IP address, browser operating system and version, device identifier and features, access times, and referring website addresses.
Use of Your Information
We use your information for the purpose(s) for which it was collected or provided to us (as stated at the point of collection) or as otherwise obvious from the context of collection. We may also use your information to:
- administer and manage this Website and the Mobile App, communicate with you about this Website and the Mobile App, and respond to your inquiries and requests;
- customize or personalize your user experience and the content we deliver to you;
- conduct research and analytics about how you use and interact with this Website and the Mobile App;
- protect the rights, safety, property, or operations of Gracenote or our affiliates, you, or others; and
- respond to requests and communications from law enforcement authorities or other government officials.
We may also use your information for marketing purposes or to send you promotional materials or other communications about Gracenote’s business, products/services, and events that may be of interest to you. You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the unsubscribe link in any of our communications to you. After you unsubscribe, we will not send you further promotional materials or communications, but we may continue to contact you to the extent necessary for the purposes of any services you have requested. We do not and will not sell your personal information to third parties for their own commercial use.
Legal Basis for the Processing of Your Personal Information
Applicable law in your country of residence may require us to set out in this Privacy Statement the legal basis upon which we rely in order to process your personal information.
If you are based in the European Union (“EU”)/European Economic Area (“EEA”), we will process your personal information for the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement based on: (a) the consent that you provide us at the point of collection of your personal information to use such information for certain specific purposes; or (b) our legitimate interests, provided that such interests are not overridden by your interests, fundamental rights, or freedoms. In particular, we may process your personal information in reliance on a legitimate interest in the effective and lawful operation of this Website, the Mobile App, and our business as well as the effective delivery of information and services to you. We may have other legitimate interests and, if so, we will make clear what those interests are at the relevant point in time. To the extent that we process any sensitive personal information relating to you, we will do so because either: (a) you have given us your explicit consent to process the information; (b) the processing is necessary for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims; or (c) you have made the information manifestly public.
If you have any questions or concerns about the legal basis upon which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Disclosures of Your Information
In connection with one or more of the purposes outlined above, we may disclose your information to:
- other members of the Nielsen group of companies;
- third parties that provide services to us, such as system hosting, management, and support; data analysis; data backup; and security and storage services;
- relevant third parties as part of a corporate transaction, such as a reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with a bankruptcy or similar proceeding);
- competent governmental and public authorities, in each case to comply with legal or regulatory obligations or requests; and
- other third parties as we believe necessary or appropriate for legal purposes, including (a) as permitted under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to enforce our terms and conditions; (d) to protect our operations and those of any of our affiliates; (e) to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or those of our affiliates, you, or others; and (f) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit damages that we may sustain.
All of these disclosures may result in the transfer of your information to countries or regions with data protection laws that differ from those in your country of residence. By providing us with your information and using this Website and/or the Mobile App, you are acknowledging that your information may be transferred to countries outside of your country of residence.
In cases where your information is transferred outside of your country of residence, we will ensure that there are adequate safeguards in place to protect your personal information. If you are based in the EU/EEA, such safeguards might include a data transfer agreement with the information recipient based on standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission for transfers of personal information to third countries. For further details relating to the transfers described above and the adequate safeguards used with respect to such transfers, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gracenote understands the importance of protecting the privacy of minors, especially in the online environment. This Website and the Mobile App are not designed for or intentionally targeted at minors under the age of 18. It is our policy to never knowingly collect or maintain personal information about anyone under the age of 18. If we become aware that we have collected personal information relating to a minor, we will take reasonable steps to delete it.
We have in place reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures that are designed to protect your information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, destruction, and other forms of unlawful processing while it is under our control. However, please be aware that the storage and transfer of information cannot always be one-hundred percent secure.
We will retain your information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes set out in this Privacy Statement, unless applicable law or professional obligations requires a longer retention period.
Your Choices and Legal Rights
You have choices about how your personal information is handled, and we are committed to providing you with reasonable access to your personal information and the ability to review and limit the use of such information in accordance with applicable law.
Depending on your country of residence, you may have the right to:
- request confirmation that we are processing your personal information;
- request a copy of the personal information we hold about you;
- request that we update the personal information we hold about you or correct such information that is inaccurate or incomplete;
- restrict the way in which we use your personal information (e.g., if we have no legal right to keep using it) or limit our use of your personal information (e.g., if your personal information is inaccurate or unlawfully held);
- object to our processing of your personal information;
- withdraw the consent that you have given us to process your personal information (where we process your personal information on the basis of your consent);
- request that your personal information be transferred to another organization in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format (to the extent applicable);
- request that we delete the personal information we hold about you; and
- lodge a complaint with the data protection or privacy authority in your country of residence regarding our processing of your personal information.
If you are interested in exercising one or more of the rights described above, please contact us at email@example.com. Please note that we may require proof of your identity before we can give effect to these rights.
We will not discriminate against you if you decide to exercise your rights under applicable law.
Because we want to avoid taking action regarding your personal data at the direction of someone other than you, only you or an “Authorized Agent” permitted to act on your behalf may submit a request. An “Authorized Agent” means a natural person or a business entity you have authorized to act on your behalf by providing your written permission. Please note, we may deny a request from an Authorized Agent if they do not submit proof that they have been authorized by you to act on your behalf.
Your request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal data or an Authorized Agent; and
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
Additional information for EU/EEA residents
If you have any questions or concerns about our collection or use of your personal information, you can contact our EU Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unsatisfied with the way in which we have handled your personal information or any privacy query or request that you have raised to us, you have a right to complain to the appropriate National Data Protection Authority (“DPA”). To find the contact details of the DPA in your country of residence, please visit http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/article29/item-detail.cfm?item_id=612080.
Special Notice to California Residents
If you are a resident of the state of California, you are entitled to request information regarding the disclosure of your personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes. Please note that we do not share your personal information with non-affiliated third parties for such purposes.
Honoring Do-Not-Track Browser Signals
“Do Not Track” (“DNT”) is a preference you can set in your web browser to let the websites you visit know that you do not want them collecting information about you. At this time, this Website does not respond to DNT or similar signals.
Updates to this Privacy Statement
We may update and make changes to this Privacy Statement from time to time in light of, for example, changing business or personal data processing practices, technology, or legal requirements. When we make changes to this Privacy Statement, we will amend the “Last Revised” date at the top of this page. The most current version of this Privacy Statement will always be available here. We encourage you to review this Privacy Statement periodically to remain informed about how we are using and protecting your information.
If you have any questions or concerns about this Privacy Statement or Gracenote’s information handling practices, please email us at email@example.com or write us at:
85 Broad Street
New York, NY 10004
Attn.: Legal Dept. - Gracenote